4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2012 3:42 AM by rpalafox RSS

Who Moved My Cheese?

rpalafox Novice
Currently Being Moderated

Who moved my cheese? This is the title of book written by Spencer Johnson several years ago about two mice that are used to doing everything in a certain order, every day. And they were comfortable, every day, because they always knew where their cheese was going to be. Then one day, someone moves their cheese, and their world, as they know it, changes. The book goes on to describe several “rules” of what to do when your cheese is moved. I don’t know about you but my cheese never seems to be in the same spot from one week to the next. 

Recently I was asked to help “guide” Docentes del Castellano.  Since I became a member, over a year ago, I have tried to keep up with all of the information that has been shared by Luisanna. From the beginning I was always amazed not only with the number of resources that she shared but by the quality of those resources.  I don’t know about you but not only was I amazed, I was overwhelmed.  How is a teacher supposed to have time to look at all of these resources?  And if you find something that you think will work, how do you actually use it in your classroom?  The answer to those questions is to think about “moving our cheese”.  Anyone who uses or has tried to use technology in the classroom knows that technology can be a very useful tool, but it can also be very frustrating. This is true for any classroom not just for Spanish.  If you are the teacher who is used to teaching everything the same way every day, chances are that you are going to miss out on some very interesting tools and ideas that can make Spanish or (insert course name here) very engaging to your students.  Why not instead of trying to hold on to our old cheese, we think about going out and finding new cheese? (Johnson, S. p60)

For me that “new cheese” was in experimenting with the use of technology in my classroom. But the problem was that many students and some administrators were concerned that my classroom was “too technological” and not enough about teaching language.  If we are going to use technology in our classroom we have to find a way to get students and those administrators to “buy in” to the technology. Keep in mind, the idea is to “move their cheese” as well.

So where does Docentes del Castellano go from here? To begin we will continue to use the wonderful resources provided by Luisanna. All I propose is to share with everyone some ideas on how to use those resources and try to make all of this technology “less overwhelming”.  When Luisanna is able to get back, I’m sure she will continue to provide more resources and hopefully by that time we will be better at using them.  I like what Johnson says toward the end of his book, “When you see that you can find and enjoy new cheese, you change course.” The time to change our [i]course in education is way overdue.

[i] Johnson, Spencer. Who Moved My Cheese. New York: G. P. Putnam’s Son’s.1998

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...