4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 6:25 PM by azuregreen RSS

How are you meeting your responsibilities as an educator?

azuregreen New User
Currently Being Moderated

After reading my blog,

Debbie’s Doodles:  Meeting our Responsibilities as Educators

• Do you currently teach about citizenship in your classroom?
  • Do you share your activities with other teachers in your school/district?
  • Are you willing to share your activities with others in the community?
  • Do you team-teach lessons, units, curriculum with other teachers?
  • When you are planning, does the difference in student backgrounds become a discussion topic?
  • Do you want or need more information on this topic?

I would love to hear how you meet your responsibilities as an educator.

Debbie Potts

Verizon Education Blogger

• Re: How are you meeting your responsibilities as an educator?
    snituama Novice

Thank you Debbie for bringing up the important subject - teaching citizenship.  While civics education was a core component of my generation's schooling, I fear this fundemental piece of American education is being short-changed these days. 

EDSITEment is committed to supplying resources to support teachers in this area.  This year we have teamed with Leon and Amy Kass, scholars and educators who have penned this wonderful text to support curriculum, What So Proudly We Hail: The American Soul in Story, Speech and Song. We join them in asking the vital question: What Makes You an American?

EDSITEment has an introductory feature The Meaning of America: A New Approach to Civic Education

that provides a guide for teachers to the What So Proudly We Hail: The Meaning of America Curriculum

Through the use of stories, speeches, and songs, this site seeks to educate hearts and minds about American ideals, American identity and national character, and the virtues and aspirations of our civic life. A ten lesson curriculum is included which covers the following topics: National Identity and Why It Matters, Freedom and Individuality, Equality, Enterprise and Commerce, Freedom and Religion, Law Abidingness, Self Command, Courage and Self-Sacrifice, and Compassion.

Over the course of this year, EDSITEment will be showcasing a series of innovative lessons which use classic American short stories to teach civics.  I will also be teaming with Dr Kass and another educator to deliver a Conversation on Civic Engagement and Literature at the next NCTE conference in November.

Here is a sampling of the monthly Launchpads adapted from www.WhatSoProudlyWeHail.org that EDSITEment is developing to help teachers unwrap these American ideals conveyed in these short stories:

Launchpad: “The May-pole of Merry Mount,” by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Launchpad: The Man Without a Country, by Edward Hale

Launchpad: Jack London's “To Build A Fire.”…

Shelley

EDSITEment

• Re: How are you meeting your responsibilities as an educator?
    Lynne Hoffman Apprentice

I recently read an article from eClassroom News that talks about a seven-part plan for improving teaching.  See School groups craft seven-part plan for improving teaching.  I liked these points and have included them in this post so others can consider their value.

• A culture of shared responsibility and leadership. The idea is to have more shared decision-making among teachers and administrators.
    • Top talent, prepared for success. Schools should recruit new teachers from among a high-performing and diverse talent pool.
    • Continuous growth and professional development. Teachers should be given ample opportunities and support for career-long learning.
    • Effective teachers and principals. With teacher and principal input, school districts should develop robust, well-rounded evaluation plans that measure teachers and principals based on student academic growth, as well as other contributions.
    • A professional career continuum with competitive compensation. In other words, teacher career paths should include competitive pay and opportunities for advancement.
    • Conditions for successful teaching and learning. School leaders should create the right environment for teachers to succeed and for helping high-need students.
    • Engaged communities. School leaders should foster more engagement between schools and their communities.

I think it would be easy to meet the responsibilities of an educator if you taught in a school that adhered to these seven points.

Lynne

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...