2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2011 2:06 PM by NaomiAtAmericanHistory RSS

How would a "well rounded education" provision to ESEA affect your district?

NaomiAtAmericanHistory Novice
Currently Being Moderated

Earlier this month the Senate’s Health, Education, Labor, and Pension committee passed a “Well Rounded Education” provision to the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which would provide funding for programs in history, civics, the arts, economics, environmental education, financial literacy, foreign languages, geography, health education, and physical education.

While this provision has a long way to go before it could be enacted, the History Explorer team wondered what about the group's thoughts on the provision at this stage.  If enacted, how do you think this would affect your district? How might such a provision play out where you are? Or, what would be your ideal use for such funding?

You can also read more in this post from the American Historical Association

Naomi

National Museum of American History

• Re: How would a "well rounded education" provision to ESEA affect your district?
    hstrickland New User
    Currently Being Moderated

Hi Naomi!

In terms of effects on our district- P.E., Foreign Lang. and the Arts have never been cut since I've been here. K-5 students get 30 min. P.E. daily. 6th-9th graders get 60 min. alternating days, and then after 9th grade there is only 1 P.E. credit requirement. We have a drama/theater (AP and IB)  program 9th-12th grade. German, French, and Spanish are all offerings in 9th-12th. At the middle school level, we have elective courses and clubs that fill many of these requirements as well. What is left out of my district is funding for history/geography education. TAH (which ends next year for us) is the only way we've received professional development and some teaching materials.  My hope would be that this provision would ensure this professional development would continue, as well as expand the topics we've presently received training on beyond the scope of American History.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...