3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 2:56 AM by Tammy Dewan RSS

Can you think of common grammar mix-ups that your ELLs make and ways to help?

Tammy Dewan Novice
Currently Being Moderated

As my 2 year old is developing language, I decided to dust off one of my college books, The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker, and read through it.  It is fascinating how humans naturally acquire language and how time and time again people use the same methods/structure/rules to create languages.  As I was reading the section on the grammar rules and language structure found in different languages.  I began thinking about students who are learning English.  They often resort back to the grammar rules that they know from their native language and apply them to their new language.  For example, Spanish speakers might say “girl beautiful” instead of “beautiful girl” since in Spanish they would say “chica bonita” because in Spanish descriptive words always come after the noun they describe.  Then a Japanese student might not distinguish “r” from “l”. 

As ELL teachers I think the more we recognize these common errors, the better we can be at explaining the English rules to our students.

Can you think of common mix-ups that your ELLs make and how you can help them practice/learn the difference in grammar rules between English and their native language?  

• Re: Can you think of common grammar mix-ups that your ELLs make and ways to help?
    tofubeth New User

Speakers of Asian languages often do not conjugate verbs. When doing running records, we do not count leaving off endings as an error. Instead, we note them, and we work on explicit teaching. Usually, that takes the form of highlighting tape in books, asking students to highlight all the -s endings/-ed endings they see on a page and working slowly through a trade book to make it much more obvious that there are endings.

• Re: Can you think of common grammar mix-ups that your ELLs make and ways to help?
    mso Novice

Many of my students are Korean.  One error that they consistently make is subject-verb agreement for have/has.

They will say "He/she have a book."  No matter how well they perform on assessments and activites, when they engage in conversation, knowledge of all rules disappears and they resort to OLD HABITS.  Which is what I attribute that error to...parents and others in their Korean community have the HABIT of saying "he/she have" and my students repeat the error that they hear....this follows what you said, Tammy, just as anyone who is learning a language internalizes the grammar that they first hear. 

For this reason, I beg my parents not to use their English at home - just speak their native language and allow for English to be spoken with native English speakers.

Marie

PS - thanks for the great question!

And Beth...thanks for the great suggestion of highlighting verb endings in books!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...