1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 29, 2011 4:12 PM by Jane Steele,MA RSS

What are Some Time Management Strategies for Online Teachers and Students?

cgasell Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

In my new position, I have the opportunity to, on occasion, work from home. It is a great luxury to spend the day in my PJs and I gain time by not having to commute into work. However, I find myself struggling to stay on task and manage all my day to day job responsibilities when the laundry is looming and the dishes are stacked up in the sink. I would think that online students would have similar struggles as their favorite video game controller is just a few feet away.

How can online teachers model good time management strategies? What are some time management strategies that online teachers can use?

• Re: What are Some Time Management Strategies for Online Teachers and Students?
    Jane Steele,MA New User
    Currently Being Moderated

Crystal:  This is something that I was training to do until my mom's leukemia got worse and took her life a few years ago.  I was training to be an online instructor plus taking her to NC Baptist Hospital for treatment et al.  She was also a history teacher in a traditional brick school building and I even had her for several days while my regular teacher was absent.  May I offer some suggestions?  Get up and start your laundry.  While it is washing/drying and or soaking you can answer student emails,grade projects and exams.  Take frequent breaks because being online for hours can drain you. 

The hospital that mom had her treatments in had a small patient/caregiver library and I logged in and completed my assignments and or stayed up at night in order to complete them if she was not recovering from chemo which can be a trip!  You are so lucky not to have gone through this but are lucky in that it is very hard to get permission to teach online because the jobs are hard to come by and many people have to have in person teaching experience which I lack.  I taught public history in a museum for over twenty years and had staffers who backed me up as I took care of both parents when they got sick.  Let me know if this helps because I have an idea of just what you are going through in many ways.  Jane Steele,MA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...