2 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2011 7:32 AM by pvennebush RSS

Share some books you recommend for teaching math concepts.

pvennebush New User
Currently Being Moderated

My coworker at NCTM, Beth Skipper, is the editor of Teaching Children Mathematics, the journal for elementary school math teachers. She is very knowledgeable about elementary school mathematics, and she is a plethora of information about books for children that involve math. She recently started a blog at http://bethsbookshelf.blogspot.com that gives a tip every day for using various books to help teach mathematical concepts. I highly recommend it. Check it out!

• Math and Literature
    bhilferty Novice

I checked out the blog. This is the right URL, right? http://bethsbookshelf.blogspot.com/.

It looks like a great source for someone who is always looking for interesting children's books to borrow from the library. I have it bookmarked. Thanks for passing along.

What math-related books have you shared with your boys that have been a hit? 

Bridget

• Math and Literature
      pvennebush New User

My favorite is "Hippos Go Berserk" by Sandra Boynton. First there's one hippo, then two more, then three more, all the way up to nine more... then after the party, nine leave, then eight leave, etc. At the end, it says, "One hippo, alone once more, misses the other forty-four." This is a nice and not-too-serious display of the triangular numbers. I wouldn't reall call this a math book, though -- it's just simple counting, really. But after we read it, we talk about some of the bigger ideas, such as why the hippo misses forty-four others, and we figure out that 2 + 3 + ... + 9 = 44.

As for true math books, we haven't used too many. I've generally been frustrated by them -- the books at their reading level focus on concepts that are below their math level. Generally, I take other books we have and try to draw out the math that's in them. Or I'll create a story on my own that has some math in it. (Maybe there's a market for them?)

On most nights after dinner, Alex will now ask, "Can we do some math before we go to bed?" Partly, this makes me think I'm doing a good job as a parent; but mostly, it makes me realize that my kid is smart enough to know effective stall tactics to prevent him from having to go to bed before he wants to.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...