1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 1, 2014 6:30 PM by Tammy Dewan RSS

What will your children remember from the Olympics?

Lynne Hoffman Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

Have you thought about using the Olympics as "teachable" moments with your children?  It's an incredible accomplishment for athletes to stand on the podium and receive a gold, silver, or bronze medal, but what about all those who tried their best and have no medal to show for their efforts.  What a great opportunity to teach children about the joys of winning and the agony of losing!

Or consider how all those representing their country cheer for each other and encourage their team members to do their best.  Not everyone on a team can be the gold medalist, but they all support each other in their efforts to win medals.  What a great lesson in teamwork!

Check out the suggestions for parents in this post What Kids Will Remember Forever from Watching the Olympics With You | Common Sense Media that offers some good ideas for using the Olympics to start discussions and share conversations with your children.

Can you think of other ways to use the Olympics to teach life lessons to your children?

• Re: What will your children remember from the Olympics?
    Tammy Dewan Novice
    Currently Being Moderated

I asked my 4 year old what he will remember about the Olympics games and here is what he told me:

• People can skate really fast
    • People can do cool tricks like jumping over a mountain
    • People can dance when they skate like a prince
    • I loved it because people were really good and tried to win but some people lost because they fell down. I felt bad when people fell down because they were my Olympic team.

My 2 year old enjoyed watching the couples figure skating. She would say WOW every time the guy threw his partner in the air.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...