7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2011 11:02 PM by Martyesmith RSS

Computers

Martyesmith New User
Currently Being Moderated

Do you feel computers are a good tool for special education students to use in a middle school environment?  I want to try to write a grant to have some net books in the class so I can try them out.

• Re: Computers
    cgasell Apprentice

Hi Marty,

You might want to check out BestBuy's @15 grant in order to get computers for your classroom. There are lots of other grants out there!

https://www.at15.com/contests_scholarships/teach

Good luck!

Crystal Gasell

clgallion New User

I found computers very valuable for my middle school SPED students last year. Most were ED and some also had Autisim. The computers gave them a chance to have interactive activities and access to a lessons that were more suited to their different learning styles. In addion I had students that could not print legibly but they could do their work on the computer. Of course I don't know what you situation is, but I think all students can benefit from technology and those that are not exposed to it in this day and age should be.

ljudson54 New User

Our Exceptional Ed/Special Ed teachers just got SmartBoards in their classrooms and are excited about math interactives. We are in a high school.

servenlearn New User

I am majoring in classroom technology. I feel there is so much kids need to know about technology besides using their phone for socializing. I remeber last year asking the kids to get their phone out to use the calculator. Many of them did not know it had one! I feel tools such as saving files,presentations, Google Docs, blogging, applications, uploading, downloading sharing is now basic stuff! However, I am so frustrated becuase I do not have the equipment to teach! Google has this online scrapbook and portfolio that is great! Today, we toured a city in Germany using Google maps, but we had to watch on one little pc screen. I think we must incorperate tech into current practices.

wizzlewolf New User

Maryesmith,

What SHOULD be reality is not always reality. I agree. In order to teach students in this 21st century, teachers should have the newest and best technology available. This is not the case in most teaching scenarios. This is sad, but true.

Sheree

• Computers
    bcurnutte New User

Yes.   Curious.    Did you apply for the grant and did you receive funding?

• Computers
      Martyesmith New User

I wrote the grant and find out Sunday if I can purchase 5 new netbooks.  I currently have 6 old pc's in my class and 4 old macs.  I bought the 2 year old pc and the new mac book pro laptop.  I also bought a ipad which I have let my students use as well.

Today my students set up my vocabulary weekly presentation using google doc.  I then imported it into powerpoint to do the timing.  I also correct their sentences and sometimes find better pictures to use.  So far, my students have used the computers to blog, write, research, work on definitions for vocabulary, read and write Tween Tribune stories.  THeya re enaged learners and now know how to connect to our google site and can teach others how to do so.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...