1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 19, 2014 10:09 PM by Tammy Dewan RSS

What should parents know to keep up with tech trends for 2014?

Lynne Hoffman Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

Common Sense Media is a wonderful resource to keep parents aware of what's happening with their kids in the digital age.  The blog "7 Surprisingly Inspiring Kids' Tech Trends for 2014" addresses ways parents can see their children learn, grow, and benefit from innovations in the tech world.  Check out positive trends in computer coding, video gaming, social networking, alternative programming, and more.

In addition, parents can find good tips for helping their children make good decisions in "Seven Media-Savvy Skills All Parents Need in 2014."  These tips include the following:

1. Check out your kids' social sites.
  2. Take their games seriously.
  3. Share music.
  4. Use YouTube's advanced features.
  5. Take control of your TV.
  6. Research your kids' apps.
  7. Establish a digital code of conduct.

How will you prepare for digital changes in 2014?  What other ways can you stay informed about digital media and help your children develop media-savvy skills?

• Re: What should parents know to keep up with tech trends for 2014?
    Tammy Dewan Novice
    Currently Being Moderated

Great tips Lynne! It really does stress me out when my 4 year old son plays on the iPad, much more than my 14 year old and my 10 year old. I am so hung up on whether or not the games will warp his brain (MindCraft, Robber Bob, Angry Birds). I also started a discussion question to ask others, Can Minecraft or games like it be educational?. My husband and I are researching this topic quite a bit and find different opinions on the topic. I know that there are apps/games for 4 year olds but they don't hold my son's attention and he seems to master them quite easy. He loves the challenge of getting to different levels and he is much cleverer at the games than any one of us in the house. We see how fast he can make decisions in the games and how he problem solves to get to the next level. There has to be some good in that...right? He definitely, takes his game seriously so we are too and we are trying to keep up with his games to help explain them to him.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...