3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 10:47 PM by Tammy Dewan RSS

How do you know when children are ready to watch scary movies?

Lynne Hoffman Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

The month of October brings lots of opportunities for kids to see scary movies. But one kid's laugh riot is another's fright fest. Learn how to choose age-appropriate scary movies this Halloween season. Check out Common Sense Media's Scary Movie Tips (October 15, 2013).

What other tips would you add to these lists?  Please share your ideas with us.

• Re: How do you know when children are ready to watch scary movies?
    Lynne Hoffman Apprentice

Common Sense Media has published an article "31 Halloween Ideas for Kids to Play, Make, Eat, and Watch" that provides parents and children with loads of activities to explore for Halloween fun. 

Do you see any ideas on this website that you may use with your children?

• Re: How do you know when children are ready to watch scary movies?
    Tammy Dewan Novice

Lynne, what a great question and one my husband and I have been debating. In our house, we have kids ages, 14, 10, 4 and 1. The older girls love watching Harry Potter. Not necessarily on purpose, but my 4 year old has seen parts of Harry Potter and he loves it. He walks around the house pretending to do magic with his wand. My neighbor's kids are 5 and 7 and they are only aloud to watch "G" rated movies. Our son hasn't been scared of movies yet so I haven't worried too much about him watching movies such as Spiderman and ET. However, my neighbors feel that if their son watches these types of movies he will try and act them out and be "more aggressive". Their son is a sweet well rounded kid but being a boy, he does act out being a bad or good guy, wrestles with my son and makes pretend guns. I know his parents discourage this kind of behavior and I know that he wants to follow his parents’ rules. However, he just has so much energy and enjoys rough playing like other boys his age. Also, even though he doesn't watch scary movies, he still gets night terrors. So who knows...kids can be afraid of bad guys, monsters and ghosts even without being exposed to scary movies. I say, use your best judgment, fast forward through any questionable parts of the movie while also exposing your kids to some cool imaginative worlds like in Harry Potty, Goonies and ET.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...