3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2013 11:32 AM by cturner03 RSS

Math in the Real World

davidwees New User
Currently Being Moderated

I recently created a summary of a workshop on "Math in the Real World" and I would love some feedback on it, if anyone has any time. Thank you.

See the presentation here.

• Re: Math in the Real World
    akong New User

David,

Awesome video (and webpage)! I immediately thought of Dan Meyer when I was listening! I enjoyed your examples and inspiration. I think a lot of new teachers would benefit from seeing this.

davidwees New User

Thank you for the feedback, Ann. Dan Meyer's approach often qualifies as "real world math" but both of us believe that there are plenty of opportunities and interesting ways to also engage children in mathematics which cannot be easily tied to a real world application.

Let me know what your colleagues think of the video, and if they find it useful.

cturner03 New User

I liked your presentation and I see an urgent need to move the way we structure math education in that direction. I teach high school math and have found it very difficult to this in my classrooms.  Too often , the students are lacking skills needed to solve the problems or the peresevance to find a solution. What suggestions do you have for dealing with that situation?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...