The Living Room Candidate, funded through a grant from the Verizon Foundation, contains a comprehensive online collection of political television advertisements from every Presidential election since 1952.
"In the years since it first went online in 2000, The Living Room Candidate has become an institution in its own right and one of our signature programs," said Rochelle Slovin, director of Museum of the Moving Image, the only museum dedicated to the art and industry of all of screen culture, from the earliest silent films to today's video games. "The Living Room Candidate is timely, informative, and irresistibly entertaining — and it seamlessly combines the Museum's key subject areas of film, television and digital media."
The 2008 redesign of The Living Room Candidate unveiled powerful new features:
- Commentaries on the Museum's selection of the top campaign commercials of all time
- Create-your-own playlists of past and present commercials
- Annotated playlists of advertisements selected by noted political consultants, cultural critics, scholars and media celebrities
- Ad design and production activities
- Favorite commercials from the 2008 presidential campaign
Verizon Foundation Helps Bring Presidential History Alive Through The Living Room Candidate
The Museum of the Moving Image officially launched the 2008 edition of The Living Room Candidate Web site on September 15, 2008, with a celebration at the Times Center in New York City featuring members of the cast of Saturday Night Live.