Thinkfinity Community documents allow you to create written papers containing ideas and resources that are stored online. Documents can be created anytime, from anywhere. You do not need word processing software on your computer to create and edit documents.
As a document owner, you can make the document private, open to anyone, or just specific people. Additionally, you can allow others to edit the document, creating a dynamic and collaborative place for groups of people to work together on a single document.
Creating a Document
- Select Create > Document on the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page.
- You will need to select a location for your document. Most people begin by selecting Your Documents at the top of the list. Or you can choose to create a document in a group.
- The new document will open. You will need to enter a title and add content to your document.
- By default, the document is not shared. You can change the visibility and collaboration options towards the bottom of the new document page.
- When finished, select Publish to publish your document according to your selected visibility (if saved in your personal space) and collaboration options (saved in your personal space or a group).
- To view a published document, select your name in the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page. Then, choose Content and filter by Documents.
Viewing your Documents
- To view documents that you have created, select Browse > Content on the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page and then choose Authored. Finally, use the filters to select Documents.
- To view a document, select the document title from the list.
Modifying a Document
To modify a document, you must be the owner of the document or have rights from the author.
- Select the document from your list of documents located in Browse > Content and then choose Authored. You can also view your documents by clicking on your name in the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page. This will take you to your profile page.
Note: If the document doesn't show up in your list, someone else owns it. You will need the direct URL of the document or you can go to the owner's profile and select the Documents tab to view the public documents owned by that person. Additionally, if the document is published to a group, you can locate it by going to the group's page and selecting the Content tab from the top of the page.
- Looking at the document, select Edit under Actions on the right side of the page.
- Complete the required modifications and select Publish at the bottom of the page.
Managing Visibility and Collaboration of a Document
When you create a new document, you have the option of allowing others to view the document as well as giving users the ability to collaborate on the document. By allowing others to collaborate on a single document, you can provide a place to share and create.
Note: When you create a new document in Your Documents, you have the option to define the Visibility and Collaboration Options towards the bottom of the page. If you create a document in a group or space, that document will automatically be available to users in that group or space, so you will not see visibility options.
Visibility: Select Just you, Open to anyone, or Just specific people. If you select Just specific people, you must enter their Thinkfinity username in the space provided.
Collaboration Options: Select Just you, Anyone or Specific people. If you select Just specific people, you must enter their Thinkfinity username in the space provided.
Under collaboration options, you can also select whether you will allow comments on your document.
To change your visibility and collaboration options on a document you have already created, select the document from your list and under Actions on the right side, select Manage visibility and collaboration.
Commenting on a Document
- When viewing a document, scroll down to the bottom of the document and select Add a comment under the comment tab. If comments are not allowed, this option will not be available.
- Enter your text and select Add Comment.
Saving a Document in your Bookmarks
- When viewing a document, select Bookmark on the right side of the screen.
- This will automatically save the document to your list of resources. Use the down arrow next to Bookmarked> Edit.
- In this window, you can enter notes or tags (keywords) that will help categorize the resource.
- If you would like to make the resource private, check Make this bookmark private (only you will see it).
- Select Save at the bottom of the page.
To view your bookmarks, choose the Bookmark icon in the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page.
Comparing Document Versions
- This feature is so handy you will wonder where it has been all of your life. You can see the full history of a document in Thinkfinity, and compare any two versions to see what changed between them.
- Click on Manage version in the Actions menu to see the entire history of the document. Click on the magnifying glass icon next to the version number to see the two most recent versions compared side-by-side.